1946 - Minnesota Automotive, a division of A. T. Hansord of Minneapolis, Minnesota, is incorporated. Their offices are located in Minneapolis and they own the patent rights to a two-stage hydraulic power brake cylinder. G. J. "Mac" McGrath starts working as District Sales Manager.
1947 - Minnesota Automotive, Inc. acquires all stock from the Mankato Industrial Company (MICO) located in Mankato, Minnesota. The Mankato Industrial Company manufactured machined parts, many of which had been used by the military during World War II.
1949 - Minnesota Automotive, Inc. dissolves the Mankato Industrial Company operating both the Minneapolis and Mankato facilities under the corporate name Minnesota Automotive, Inc. with MICO as the brand name.
1950 - The Minnesota Automotive, Inc. facility was moved to Mankato and consolidated with the Mankato operation. G. J. McGrath becomes Sales Manager. "MICO" is trademarked.
1952 - A. T. Hansord passes away. Hansord estate sells Minnesota Automotive, Inc. to G. J. McGrath and others.
1958 - The Prescott Spinner Company becomes a subsidiary company of Minnesota Automotive, Inc. Prescott Spinner manufactures fishing tackle.
1960 - G. J. McGrath becomes sole owner of Minnesota Automotive, Inc.
1965 - The Minnesota and Blue Earth Rivers flood the Minnesota Automotive, Inc. facility in Mankato. Operations are quickly relocated in multiple locations throughout the Mankato and North Mankato areas. ALMICO, Inc. is founded in California to provide faster and better service for Minnesota Automotive, Inc. West Coast accounts. The facility will serve as the West Coast warehouse and assembly plant.
1966 - The General Finishing Company was formed as an affiliate of Minnesota Automotive, Inc. Minnesota Automotive, Inc. also acquires Tip Top Products as a subsidiary operation in Texas. Tip Top Products is a federally inspected meat processing plant which produces corn dogs.
1970 - The Prescott Spinner Company is sold to a fishing tackle firm in Ohio.
1973 - Minnesota Automotive, Inc. sells Tip Top Products.
1974 - The entire Minnesota Automotive, Inc. operation is brought together under one roof in North Mankato. General Finishing building is remodeled and an addition is completed to make room for the entire Minnesota Automotive, Inc. staff. Minnesota Automotive, Inc. also acquires a licensing agreement to manufacture and sell a number of full power braking components from Bendix Corporation.
1980 - Minnesota Automotive, Inc. builds a 21,600 square foot manufacturing addition.
1982 - Minnesota Automotive, Inc. changes its name to MICO, Inc.
1985 - MICO, Inc. announces the acquisition of Sy-Tec, Inc. a manufacturer of mobile and industrial multiple disc brakes, clutches, and associated products. MICO West (ALMICO, Inc.) moves to a new and much larger facility in Ontario, CA.
1986 - MICO, Inc. creates a joint venture with Australian Brake Controls, to distribute MICO products and services in Australia.
1990 - MICO, Inc. expands production facilities in North Mankato.
1997 - MICO, Inc. sells its interest in Australian Brake Controls (ABC). MICO, Inc. creates a joint venture in South Africa as MICO SA, to distribute MICO products and services in South Africa. North Mankato facility achieves initial ISO 9001 certification.
2000 - MICO, Inc. sells its interest in MICO SA and MICO SA continues as a distributor for MICO products.
2002 - G. J. McGrath steps down as President of MICO, Inc. but continues to serve as Vice President and Chairman of the Board of Directors.
2003 - MICO announces complete electrohydraulic braking package.
2006 - MICO, Inc. opens a new manufacturing plant in Empalme, Sonora, Mexico.
2009 - North Mankato facility achieves initial ISO 14001 certification.
2011 - MICO opens a new facility in Shakopee, Minnesota dedicated to electrohydraulic development.
2012 - Today MICO, Inc. employs hundreds of people and distributes hydraulic and electrohydraulic components and brake systems globally. Corporate headquarters are located at 1911 Lee Boulevard in North Mankato, Minnesota with additional manufacturing facilities in Ontario, California, Worcestershire, England, and Empalme, Sonora, Mexico.
The MICO® Power Cylinder line has expanded into a broad array of hydraulic and electrohydraulic products that can be combined to form brake systems. Over the years product design and market emphasis has shifted toward heavy-duty, off-road vehicles and equipment used in a wide variety of different markets.
MICO, Inc. launches the MICO MOBEUS™ (Mobile On Board Energy Utilization System) family of electrohydraulic brake components.